I can’t believe August is here. It’s seriously blowing my mind how quickly this summer is flying by – if I was going back to teaching this year, I’d definitely be freaking out right about now. But, I’m not. Which also freaks me out a little but for totally different reasons.
But no matter how freaked out I am, I’ve gotta say it’s really nice to not have a total meltdown every time I see the back to school section at the grocery store. Because that’s generally frowned upon when you’re a grown adult.
I’ve got a lot of cool things planned for the house this month – I’m hoping to finally tackle the flooring in our kitchen, and (fingers crossed) I’m thinking I may also get around to installing baseboards downstairs. Because, I don’t know if you realize this, but we haven’t had baseboards downstairs in our home for three years now. Three. Years.
Basically, I’m the queen of 90% finished projects. They’re all over my house. That last 10%, y’all…it’s hard.
Anyways. Let’s not think about sad things like unfinished projects – let’s talk about happy things like all of the stuff that’s making our lives a little easier, better, or more fun lately. I’ll go first, then you leave yours in the comments. Deal?
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Here are a few things I’m loving this month:
- This vest. I drooled over this vest at Target several times before I finally broke down and bought it, and now I’m obsessed. It goes with just about anything and I wear mine constantly. It’s really cute with a dress or a tank top now, and I know it will transition really well into fall too – I can’t wait to pair it with some boots! I definitely have a thing for vests, and this one is my very favorite.
- Making candles. I’ve talked before about how to make candles, and I’ve really been having a lot of fun with it lately. My original plan was to start an Etsy shop, but I’m not sure if I can really compete with all of the candle awesomeness that is already out there. But goodness, is it ever addicting to play around with it at home! I’m always blown away by how quick it actually is to make a candle, and they smell so good! I have a homemade one sitting on my desk and I literally get distracted from my work because it smells so ridiculously amazing.
- Play-doh. No, not for me. Jackson is a big fan of Play-Doh and lately I’ve found myself bringing it out more and more often because it keeps him so occupied for so long! He really loves this set in particular and I swear he’ll play happily by himself for upwards of an hour anytime we bring it out. It’s hands-down my favorite way to keep him entertained, and we can’t get enough around here.
- Master of None. You guys. Have you watched this show? I kept hearing people talk about it but Corey and I hadn’t watched it at all until recently, and we’re addicted. It’s so funny, well-written, and entertaining and I’m loving it. Aziz Ansari has always been one of my favorites, so I’m not sure why we didn’t start watching this sooner! Of course, there are only 20 episodes on Netflix and we flew through those pretty quickly…I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a season 3!
- Decluttering. I’ve talked about this again and again here on the blog but I am a little obsessed with keeping our home organized, and I mentioned recently that it’s getting close to time for us to do another major round of decluttering and purging in our house. I’m thinking about setting up some sort of online challenge so we can all do it together – would you be interested in doing that with me?! I’m definitely getting ready to do a major purging in our house – it’s time to get rid of a lot of the things we held on to during the last go-round, and I’m getting really excited to get started!
- Homecoming. Have you listened to this podcast yet? Someone recommended it to me on Instagram a while back and I just got completely caught up. It is so good. It’s the first totally scripted podcast I’ve listened to, and it was so compelling and intense and I couldn’t stop once I got started. I was surprised to hear David Schwimmer’s voice when I first started listening – it’s so funny how some voices are so easily recognizable! I’d love to listen to more podcasts like this one – let me know if you know of any!
- Our garage. I complained a lot when we had to turn our garage from a media room back into a plain ol‘ garage but, you guys, I’m actually really loving it. We’re lucky enough to have an outdoor workshop that we use as a workspace but it is really disorganized right now and it’s hard to really spread out and get anything done. Plus, since it’s a more closed-in building, it’s hard to keep an eye on Jackson in the backyard while I’m working. With the garage, however, I can open up the door and let Jackson go to town in the driveway or in the front yard and I actually have room to spread out a bit while I’m working. Of course, now I’m getting totally spoiled by having not one but two dedicated workspaces. Oops. The bottom line, though? I really do love our garage and it probably gets even more use now than it did as a media room.
- Married at First Sight. YOU GUYS. Have you seen this show? I’m dying. I was chatting with a friend at Haven about The Bachelor and she said I should give this show a shot – and holy cow, it’s the most ridiculous and wonderful show ever. Corey is basically embarrassed to be married to me every time he catches me watching it, but I can’t help myself. It’s a total guilty pleasure and I can’t get enough. Have you been watching any crazy shows lately?!
- And finally, this one’s really dumb but I’m obsessed with my new trash can. I had been needing one for my desk area and when I did my little family command center I finally grabbed this one. It is hands down the cutest trash can I’ve ever seen in my life and now I’m wondering why all of the trash cans in my home aren’t this pretty. Sometimes it’s the little things in life, y’all.
What are you loving this month?