Do you need some ideas for how to use a sheepskin rug in your home? Sheepskin can have many different uses, so I thought it might be fun to round up a few different ways I like to use our small sheepskin rug in our home!
I’ve always been just a little bit in love with sheepskin rugs. They make every room instantly look about fifty times cozier and more welcoming, and they look fantastic just about everywhere you put them. We’ve had ours (from Ikea) for a little over a year now, and it’s one of the things in our home that still gives me great joy every single time I see it.
I feel like every time I pull up Pinterest I see ten new photos with sheepskin rugs used in ten different ways, and I recently realized that I’m definitely not taking advantage of the full versatility of this little guy. So, I thought it might be fun to try it out in a bunch of different places and report on the results.
I know, I lead a wild and crazy life. Don’t be jealous.
How to Decorate With a Sheepskin Rug
1. Drape it on your couch! This is what we do with our sheepskin rug 95% of the time. It stays draped on the arm of the couch, and it’s perfect for a little extra cushion for whoever is sitting there. I also love that it adds some texture and coziness to the room!
2. Use it as a playmat. This is actually why we bought our sheepskin rug in the first place. When Jackson was itty-bitty, we would spread it out on the ground, lay him on top of it, and let him go to town. Sometimes he didn’t even need toys, he just liked to rub his hands on the soft fur! We also have friends who regularly laid theirs out in their crib (once their baby was old enough to roll over) for their little boy to nap on!
3. Add some cushion to a chair. I often see sheepskin rugs draped over chairs in dining rooms and I love the look! We are much too messy for it to be practical for us, but I could definitely see myself using it in my workspace when I know I’ll be sitting there for a while – who doesn’t want to sit on something that soft?!
4. Layer it on top of another rug. Sheepskin rugs bring so much to a room – all you really need to do is toss one on top of another rug to instantly elevate the room. It helps if it’s a small rug, or if you have a larger sheepskin.
5. Use it as a dog bed. If we had one big enough for Hadley to sleep on, this is exactly what we do! Her dog bed in our room is such an eyesore, and I would love if we could train her to sleep on a sheepskin rug instead! Plus, how cute is that?!
6. Put it by your bed. Strategically place one on either side of the bed, right where yours and your partner’s feet will land when you get out of bed each morning. It looks great, and it makes it a tiny bit easier to drag yourself out of bed each morning if you know you have that soft rug for your feet to look forward to.
7. Use it as a rug in a small space. I often leave mine sitting under my desk in my office nook. Using a small rug to define this little work area is a great way to make it feel a little more “finished,” and I’m always a fan of anything that adds more texture to a room. Plus, it’s a great way to get some sensory input for my feet while I’m working!
I can’t believe it’s taken me so long to play around with actually placing this little guy in other areas of my house, but now that I have, I kind of want to buy two or three more so I can have one in every room! I’m constantly surprised by just how versatile sheepskin rugs can be, and with a little creativity, they can be used just about anywhere.
Do you have a sheepskin rug? How do you use it? Now I’m gathering ideas!