Haaaappy, happy Friday, friends! I’m really looking forward to this weekend – Jackson has a long weekend from school and I have plans for a night away with some of my best friends to celebrate a birthday. I’m counting down the minutes until I’m sitting in a massage chair getting a pedicure with a glass of champagne in my hands and my friends all around me.
Also, I’m looking forward to sleeping in a hotel with no children to waking me up at 6:30 in the morning.
Doesn’t get much better than that!
Do you choose a word of the year each year?
I’ve done this for the past few years and it has really helped me set an intention for the year and have something to focus on. I spent a long time thinking about my word this year – 2021 was a messy year for me, to say the least, and I didn’t want to oversell this year to myself. I wanted to be realistic and focus on something that would really matter to me in the long run.
So, I chose the word connection.
I’ve been focusing a lot lately on finding connection with all of the people in my life in ways both big and small.
I’m setting my phone down in the evenings when I’m hanging out with Corey so I don’t get distracted and miss a chance to connect with him.
I’m taking little moments with the boys when I might normally be distracted to just soak them up and enjoy them.
I’m making an effort to plan an intentional activity or craft to do with them each week, to keep me accountable in taking time to connect directly with them in a meaningful way.
This week, we made banana bread together. Jackson has been gaining more confidence in the kitchen when it comes to baking, and the last few times we’ve made banana bread he has taken the lead and I’ve acted as his sous chef. It’s so sweet to see how proud he is of the finished product and how excited he gets to be in charge.
After all I went through last year, the biggest thing I learned was how fleeting our time is with the people we love, so I’m making it my mission this year to love my people hard and soak up every moment of time with them that I can.
What’s your word this year?
In other news…
- Corey and I started playing this game together and it’s so good. We’ve played other versions of it before but so far this one is far superior. We’re planning on playing it once a month through the entire year – if you need a good at-home date idea, I promise you’ll have a blast with this one.
- This post really got my brain turning with ideas for how to store not-so-cute things in cute ways.
- Another game we’ve really been loving lately is this one. It’s one of the most unique games we’ve ever played, and it’s a perfect date night game. I’m already mentally planning a Valentine’s Day date around this one!
- I got this puzzle for Christmas and I’m excited to get started on it. There’s something about putting together a beautiful puzzle that is just so dang relaxing!
- I read this book from start to finish in less than 24 hours and then immediately told everyone in my life that they had to read it ASAP. Have you read it yet? Can we discuss?!
- I’m so excited to watch this room makeover come together – it’s going to be so fun!
- My favorite faux nail brand is running a sale right now and there are some serious deals! I snagged a super cute nail set for under $10, and some of their sets are as low as $6!
- Old Navy is running a massive sale, which was timely for me because I have a gift card to spend! I ordered some of these sports bras (Parisa swears by them!) and I might need these yellow sweatpants.
- West Elm is running their winter sale. I’m seriously contemplating if we have anywhere in our house I could put this desk situation, because I’d love to have a better work zone!
- Amazon has a lot of great clothing-related sales happening right now too. Click here for some of my clothing favorites from them – the sales come and go quickly, but I’ve had my eye on this skirt for a while and it’s on sale soooo I might be snagging it!
Have a great weekend, friends!