We finally went to a pumpkin patch last weekend – it was too cold and too wet and none of their normal games or fun things were available. But, Jackson still spent a good 20 minutes running in circles around the patch exclaiming over how “cute” all of the pumpkins were. He had the best time, and it was a good reminder to me that things can still be wonderful even if they don’t live up to my Instagram-worthy expectations.
Our fall celebrations have been a bit quieter and pared down from what we usually do. I can’t make the drive out to our favorite big pumpkin patch because Grant screams in the car and my nerves can’t handle more than about 10 minutes at a time. It’s been too cold and wet outside for long walks to enjoy the crunching leaves (and the leaves wouldn’t crunch, anyways since they’re all mushy and wet). But, sometimes the little things are enough – I shared a cup of Starbucks hot chocolate with Jackson the other day while we were wandering the aisles of Target. We picked up a couple of small pumpkins at the patch (and Jackson declared one of them was “even cuter than Grant”). I’ve been wearing cozy sweaters almost every single day, and we’ve even lit our fireplace a few times.
It may not be a big “fall bucket list” year, but goodness knows I can still enjoy the small pleasures of fall.
- Speaking of fall pleasures, I’m a big horror movie fan and I tend to get into all things spooky this time of year. I just finished watching Haunting of Hill House and I can’t stop thinking about it. It was terrifying, yes, but I can’t get over the phenomenal acting and the incredible directing and layering. The hidden ghosts! The 17-minute funeral home scene with zero camera cuts (and a bit of trickery to boot). I’m so impressed by the quality of that show, and the story will stick with me for a long time.
- I’m really loving wood-look tile lately (I’m especially loving the tile from this makeover right now!), but I can’t help but wonder how it feels underfoot? I’m usually barefoot in my house, and I imagine it would be so cold! I’d love to hear what you think about it if you have any experience with it. We obviously aren’t changing the flooring in this house (we love our vinyl plank flooring!) but we’re always thinking ahead to the next one…
- If you follow my Instagram stories, you’ll know that my feet grew a bit after my pregnancy with Grant and I’m currently working on replacing my shoes. I’ve been wearing these just about constantly and I’m eyeing these and these. I’m considering splurging on these but wondering if they’re worth it?
- Now that our fireplace is finally finished, I’m thinking about making one of these! I think it’d be perfect for the spring and summer months when we aren’t really using it, and I love the look. Oh, and for those of you who’ve been asking what we’ll use to paint the inside of the fireplace, I’ve got my eye on this product.
- I’m so making this for dinner one day next week.
- Are you following the One Room Challenge this season? There are a few makeovers that I’m particularly excited to watch – I think this bathroom being built from scratch is going to be an incredible feat, I’m obsessed with this simple DIY hand towel holder (I’m so making one!), and I can’t even tell you how much I love this accent wall.
Have a fantastic weekend! We’ll be carving pumpkins, taking our Christmas photo, and hopefully making some good progress on our living room shelves. I’ll keep you updated over on Instagram, so be sure to watch along to see how much we get done.